In honoring the DAR objective of historical preservation, Janet Montgomery Chapter, NSDAR, has dedicated markers for numerous historical sites, graves, homes, and trees over the years. The following is a listing of these sites:
John Frederick Amelung of Breman, Germany, built a glasshouse about 1790 in "Frederick Town" and produced a glass of outstanding quality made of lead and soda-lime formulas. The engraved pieces ranked with the better glass made on the continent. Amelung's business failed after several years of production. Amelung is located at Furnace Road on the Monocacy River in northern Montgomery County.
Cabin John's Presbyterian Meeting House
Near the Potomac United Methodist Church. It was marked with a granite monument in 1916. This marked the establishment in 1716 of the first Presbyterian Church and School in the area. The original church closed and the Methodist Church was built near the site on Falls Road in Potomac. The marker is located on the grounds of the church cemetery. It has been questioned that this church was established in 1716.
DAR marker of granite boulder with a bronze plaque marking General Braddock's encampment at Clarksburg, Maryland, in 1755. Located off Route 355, approximately 75 yards south of "Hammer Hill," a private residence at 23310 Frederick Road, Clarksburg. This marker was placed on April 15, 1915.
Fort Frederick State Park
The water well was restored and marked by the chapter with a bronze plaque in July 1930. It is located on the grounds inside the fort which is near Big Pool, Maryland. Adjacent to the fort is a log house museum where is displayed a small wooden plaque with a brass marker indicating that a White House elm tree was donated to the park in 1933 by the Janet Montgomery Chapter, NSDAR.
George Washington Bicentennial DAR Marker
Located at the intersection of Wisconsin Avenue and River Road, Washington, D.C. This marked Native American trails, the march of General Braddock, and the inspection of this road by George Washington. The marker was dedicated on April 22, 1933. An article appears in the DAR Magazine in the August 1933 issue. In 1990, this marker was missing.
DAR marker of granite boulder with a bronze plaque marking General Braddock's encampment in 1755. Located on the left side of the old brick Montgomery County Courthouse in Rockville, Maryland. This marker was placed on July 9, 1913.
Grave site located at Union Cemetery, now Rockville Cemetery, Rockville, Maryland, in the original section. Despite not finding trace of the marker, chapter minutes and newspaper articles indicate that this grave was marked on October 29, 1922.
Originally, the chapter had a War Department marker placed at the homesite of Richard Brooke, "Fair Hill I," in 1915. The dedication did not take place until 1932. The home burned in 1977 and a parking lot was built at this location, now Olney Village Shopping Center off Route 108, Olney, Maryland.
Grave site located in Derwood, Maryland, in a small graveyard next to a home development. There is no trace of a DAR marker but there is a small stone which has sunk into the ground near the raised brick grave. Chapter minutes and newspaper publicity indicate a marking ceremony in November 1922.
Grave located at Monocacy Cemetery in Beallsville, Maryland. Minutes indicate the War Department marker was dedicated in 1915.
Sgt. Leake's grave site is located in the Brown Cemetery, Sandy Springs, Maryland. This grave was marked in either 1911 or 1912. It took place after the marking of the Richard Waters Grave.
Grave site is located at Trinity Episcopal Church yard, Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Marked on November 18, 1923.
Brigadier General Scott's grave was marked by Janet Montgomery Chapter, NSDAR and the Kentucky State Society on May 30, 1999, at Frankfort State Cemetery, Frankfort, KY. Scott was one of Washington's Continental Army generals from Virginia and the fourth governor of Kentucky.
Grave located off Hadley Farms Road in Gaithersburg, Maryland. This was the original homesite of the Richard Waters family. The headstone was dedicated by a formal ceremony October 11, 1911. Richard Waters served as a surgeon.
The following graves were also mentioned in early chapter minutes:
Nathan Musgrove and N. Pigman, 1912; Samuel Wade Magruder, 1913; Larman and Gleason, 1916; and Henry Griffith.
Minutes of the chapter mention the following graves were marked, or were being considered for marking, by the chapter. Revolutionary graves were marked by the War Department. Headstones or DAR Insignia markers were dedicated at
Montgomery County Court House
Ten trees were dedicated in 1921 to the memory of the original county commissioners.
Bradley Boulevard at the Horse Show Grounds
In 1929, seventy-one scarlet oak trees and seventeen evergreens were planted in memory of deceased members.
Fort Frederick State Park, Big Pool, Maryland
Monetary contributions were given to the Maryland State Society reforestation project of pines, 1930. Our chapter also donated fifteen trees to Fort Frederick in 2007 as part of our chapter centennial events. Many trees were in honor of loved ones. Two trees were dedicated in memory of past chapter regents, Mary Elizabeth Price and Margaret Renfors.
A 200 year old black oak was dedicated in 1977 in Brookeville, Maryland, in memory of a deceased member.
George Washington's 250th Birthday Tree
A Bradford pear tree was planted at the new Montgomery County Court House in 1983.
Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution Tree
In 1987, a seedling from the Maryland Wye Oak was planted at Forest Glen Park, Silver Spring, Maryland. The Forest Glen Park property was owned by the Maryland signer of the Constitution, Daniel Carroll. The original Wye Oak was finally felled by a storm in 2002. It was said to be more than 400 years old.
A Colorado blue spruce was planted in 1993 at Seneca Valley High School to honor Capt. Thomas Clifford Bland. Capt. Bland was killed in Operation Desert Storm.
Throughout the history of Janet Montgomery Chapter, NSDAR, trees were planted, conserved, and marked to commemorate historic events.
Located at 7340 Westlake Terrace, Bethesda, Maryland. This is the home of Samuel Wade Magruder and was restored by Chevy Chase Savings and Loan. The plaque was dedicated by the chapter in 1940, and rededicated in 1985.
Marked by the chapter in honor of the Bicentennial on October 4, 1975. Located in Brookeville, Maryland, President Madison took refuge in this home of the postmaster of Brookeville when Washington was burned during the War of 1812. The town of Brookeville, Maryland, was the U.S. Capitol for one day, August 26, 1814.
Located at 8314 Seven Locks Road, Bethesda, Maryland. This is the home of Samuel Brewer Magruder. The marker dedication was October 19, 1940.